Thursday, June 30, 2011

Grampians Day 1

Sorry, we just returned from the trip to the Grampians and along the coast, where we didn't really have access to internet.  So, I'll try to catch up on posting pics tonight and tomorrow.  

The drive from Melbourne to the Grampians was only about 3 hours, and it took us through Ballarat and Ararat (both areas known for their history as gold-panning destinations).  Evidently, you can still pan for gold there today, but we decided not to.  Instead, we had lunch in Ararat (meat pies!) and moved on.

We got into Hall’s Gap with enough time to check out our “cabin” and take a hike before sundown.  Unfortunately, Aunt Kim had left her bag in Ararat, so she went back for it while Cam, Heather, and I set out.  We didn't want to get caught on top of a mountain after dark, so we decided to do a shorter walk along the creek, which actually turned into more of a wildlife safari.   We saw and heard a few kookaburras, some rosellas, 11 emus, countless kangaroos, and even a wallaby.  

My first kangaroo sighting!  They are crazy cute and the ones I saw weren't very shy.  We saw lots later (whole mobs), and I hope to get some awesome videos up here soon.  We think they must be Eastern Grey kangaroos.
The beautiful cabin, with part of the Grampians in the background
The first emu we saw.  Heather and Cam were both surprised that we saw one.  (Note the kangaroo hanging out in the background.) 

But then we saw a whole flock of them. 
And as we walked on, this little guy was blocking our path.  You can't tell, but he's smaller than the kangaroos were, and obviously has different coloring.  Heather and Cam said "wallaroo".  My uncle says its a wallaby.  My aunt and I looked it up and I think it must be the elusive Swamp Wallaby...
Heather got a pic of these pretty rosellas right outside the cabin window.

After our walk, Cam started a fire in the wood-burning stove and Heather figured out how to turn on the fan so that it actually warmed us.  And Kim and I put together some dinner, including delicious biryani.  She was even wearing her "Biryani Baby" t-shirt  (Thanks, KC!).  We were all too tired to do much more.  Cam and Heather both fell asleep in front of the fire.  (How did I fail to get a picture of that!?)

*Edit:  Silly Eric and "Obree" -- Biryani is not an interesting Australian dish.  It's Indian and delicious and you can get it in Boston or Ohio (or most other places, including Bangor, Maine).  Sadly, I have no pic b/c we just attacked it like starving animals.  However, there are some nice food pics coming up.  I'm not completely useless.   

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like you're having a great time. I love the animal pictures! How about some pictures of the food you are consuming (I have never heard of biryani)?

    ReplyDelete